Wednesday, February 24, 2016

To my Novi students

Dear Novi students,

It's 9:00 AM on Wednesday morning. And it is snowing!

If you are willing, there is a life lesson to be learned today:

You can't count the snowflakes until they begin to fall.

I know that you are excited right now. You are hoping, praying, believing that tomorrow will be a snow day. A wonderful, glorious, exciting snow day!

But we don't know that yet. We won't know that for several hours. There is a chance that it will keep snowing. There is also a chance that it will stop.

We can't get to tomorrow until we know what is happening today.

Life is full of twists and turns. You will have many in your life. I have had many in my life. I would encourage you to look to the future but remember to be present for today.

You can plan, you can prepare, you can anticipate all you want. But you have to live today to get to tomorrow.

Many of my high school senior students can't wait to be done with high school. You already have next year planned out. You know where you will go to college. You know who your roommates will be. You know what your college major will be. You see the plan!

But plans can change. Unless you are present for today and tomorrow and the day after that you may miss great things in your final four months of high school. Heck, you might even get so caught up in tomorrow you forget to study and then you don't get that grade you needed and then you don't get into that college that you wanted to get into and then you don't get to room with your best friend and then . . . . 

I hope you get my point!

Today is a metaphor for the rest of your life. You can always look toward the future but you have to live for today!

You can't count the snowflakes until they begin to fall.

But for today  . . .

Here's hoping for snowy weather!

Dr. Matthews


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this to my fourth grade daughter - she asked if I could print it out and pin it to her cork board above her desk... I asked why - she said cause I like what Dr. Matthews said and I forget to live in today Mom I always jump into tomorrow and start to worry.
    Thank you Dr. Matthews

    ReplyDelete