April Fool's Day!
We celebrate pranks, jokes, and fun today.
Yet the story in the Detroit Free Press today about Proposal One is not a joke. If the vote were held today Proposal One would be defeated.
But the vote is not today. the vote will be on May 5th. My hope is that Michigan voters will recognize that this proposal will do two things:
- Dedicate money to fix Michigan roads
- Provide dedicated funds to Michigan K-12 education and community colleges
- Ensure that all state fuel taxes go to treansportation
- Increase the state sales tax from 6% to 7% (except on food and prescription drugs)
- $1.2 billion annually will go to roads and bridges
- Additional sales tax dollars will go to:
- School Aid fund ($300 million)
- Local governments ($94 million)
- Earned Income Tax Credit ($260 million)
- Rail/Mass Transit ($112 million)
Without a yes vote on Proposal One our Michigan roads will continue to crumble and Michigan schools will continue to suffer.