Monday, February 18, 2013

What does community mean today?

There was a fascinating report on NPR today on the future of news.

It appears that anyone, with the help of various smartphone and web-based apps, can create personalized news and information experiences. The CEO of Thirst Anuj Verma said, "People shouldn't be reading the same thing even if they go to the same platform. Having a personalized experience with what you are reading, is, I think, the future of consumption."

While I applaud this move toward helping me find information that I personally find interesting and enjoyable, I wonder how this will affect building community through a common set of knowledge and experiences.

If we become a nation where there is no common experience will it erode our ability to speak and listen to one another? 

No comments:

Post a Comment